Australian Smartphone Usage On The Rise
We’ve heard a lot from Google in the Australian media over the last few weeks, as a result of the global research they’ve carried out with IPSOS in Q1 called Our Mobile Planet.
With a base of only 1000 respondents, the broader population findings are a little shaky, but the usage & behavioural analysis is probably representative of the Australian smartphone-using population.
Here are some of the key finding from Google for Australian smartphone users:
• Smartphone penetration has risen to 52% of the population – up from 37% last year
• 49% of Australian smartphone users have an iOS device, with Android well behind on 25%
• 58% access the Internet every day on their smartphone and most never leave home without it.
• Smartphone users are multi-tasking their media with 80% using their phone while doing other things such as watching TV (48%).
• 86% of smartphone users look for local information on their phone
• 51% use search on their smartphones every day
• 88% take action as ?a result, such as making a purchase or contacting the business.
• 28% of smartphone users have made a purchase on their phone.
• 94% have researched a product or service on their device.
• Mobile ads are noticed by 87% of smartphone users.
• 63% have performed a search on their smartphone after seeing an offline ad
This is great fodder for local businesses who are trying to make a case for mobile in their organisation. It’s hard to find reliable, current, local data on the mobile industry. You can find the full Australian report here, and it’s packed full of info like the above.
Mobile Marketing Recommendations
Out of interest, the implications of the above make a good basis for a mobile marketing strategy:
• Make mobile a central part of your marketing strategy
• Extend advertising to include mobile and make mobile ads a part of an integrated approach
• Have a mobile optimised site and a search/discoverability strategy (SEO & SEM)
• Develop a cross-channel strategy to engage consumers across the multiple paths to purchase
• Develop integrated cross-media campaigns and be discoverable via smartphone
Warning: array_reverse() [function.array-reverse]: The argument should be an array in /home/ruc/snakkmedia.com/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 293
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/ruc/snakkmedia.com/wp-includes/class-wp-walker.php on line 300